Aim & objective of the department:
- The objective is to provide students with the basic knowledge in pharmaceutical Organic Chemistry, Analytical chemistry which will serve as fundamentals for other courses offered during subsequent semesters.
- To improve the knowledge base required for synthesis, isolation, purification and characterization of various pharmaceuticals.
- To equip students with the appropriate skills, qualities for effective handling of chemicals, glassware’s and analytical instruments.
- To provide enduring atmosphere and encourage students & faculty for research activity.
Overview of the Department :
Department is well equipped to introduce fundamental subjects mentioned in the B.Pharm and M.Pharm curriculum to the students so that a strong foundation is laid at the very beginning. This foundation serves as the building block for all other subjects in the entire B. Pharm ,M. Pharm course. The faculty members of this department are deep-rooted in synthetic, analytical, computational and biochemistry . Pharmaceutical chemistry department involves many aspects like synthesis, isolation, purification, characterization of anticipated organic compounds that can be used in medicine. The college has post graduate course (M. Pharm) in Pharmaceutical Quality Assurance which deals with the study of physical and chemical examination of pharmaceutical products, designing of key documents, validation of equipment’s, and Analytical Method Validation. Qualitative and quantitative techniques analysis study carried out with the help of modern analytical techniques including instruments like UV, HPLC, IR etc. for drugs, pharmaceuticals and others. Each laboratory of the department is well equipped with state of the art instruments to give hands on experience to the students. The department has successfully organized seminars, conferences etc in the field of organic chemistry and pharmaceutical analysis. The department strives towards publishing their research and review articles in good impact factor journals and also attends, presents their research work in many national and international forum i.e conferences and seminars.
The department is well equipped with following instruments required to conduct the practical’s as per the curriculum and research to meet the current Industry demands.
- UV-1800 Spectrophotometer (Shimadzu)
- HPLC (SpectrSYSTEM)
- Digital polarimeter (Equiptronics)
- Flame photometer (Systronics)
- Conductometer (Suntronics)
- Digital balances (Contact & Wensar instruments)
- Digital pH Meter (Systronics)
- Digital Nephelo-turbidometer (Systronics)
Research Areas :
- Analytical method development and validation of APIs and formulations using sophisticated instruments like UV, HPLC etc.
- Formulation development and analytical method development for new drugs and formulations.
- Validation of equipments, process.
- Herbal standardization
- Formulation development of phytochemicals: conventional and novel delivery systems.
- Exploring New Drug Molecules from Natural Sources.
- Dr. Mrs. Vijaya U. Barge (Vice Principal & Associate Professor)
- Dr. Amit J. Kasabe (Associate Professor)
- Mr. Vikram S. Veer (Asst. Professor)
- Ms. Archana H. Yadav (Asst. Professor)